Ingredients (mg per capsule)
Progast® Butyric Acid Complex is a natural product of pharmaceutical grade quality containing:
Butyric acid – main ingredient 300 mg
Butyric acid is known as the substance responsible for the smell of butter as it was first found in butter. The name comes from the Latin word for butter, butyrum (or buturum).
The epidemic of dysbiosis (a disrupted gut microbiome) and our intestinal permeability (leaky gut) may be largely due to a shortage of fibre in the diet, and together with that, a deficiency of short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs). Dysbiosis and a leaky gut often result in life-threatening inflammation.
Butyric acid, or butyrate, is an SCFA produced by probiotic fermentation of fibre in the lower intestinal tract. Supplementing with butyric acid is an emerging approach to not only tighten the junction proteins that seal the gut barrier, but also strengthen the gut microbiome.
Butyric acid is the primary source of energy for our colon cells, and it repairs, strengthens and protects the gut lining. A depletion of butyrate in the gut is typically caused by an absence or depletion of butyrate-producing-bacteria, leading to unbalanced gut microbiome. Without butyrates, colon cells digest themselves and die!
Butyrate has been extensively studied pharmacologically and serves as an attractive anti-inflammatory not only in the gut, but also on microglia (a type of glial cell located throughout the brain and spinal cord).
Butyric acid does so much more than repair intestinal barrier function:
- It enters our bloodstream and crosses the blood-brain barrier, where it decreases inflammation and inhibits histamine production.
- Butyrate activates the vagus nerve and hypothalamus.
- It can improve neurological disorders, from depression to cognitive impairment and neurodegenerative diseases.
- It is a rate-limiting factor in muscle loss as we age.
- Studies have shown that SCFAs regulate fat metabolism by increasing fat burning and decreasing fat storage.
- Our immune function and energy metabolism depend on the regulation of butyrate.
- It mimics the effects of probiotics, killing pathogens and regulating hormone levels.
- It has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity and enzyme activity in the liver and muscle tissue, resulting in better blood sugar control.
- It may decrease the risk of heart disease by reducing inflammation and blocking cholesterol production.
- It assists with regulation of colonic motility.
- It is critical to colonic mucosal health.
- It reduces the frequency of symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- It eases traveller’s diarrhoea.
- It may be beneficial in inflamed bowel disorders, as well as colorectal cancer.
- It induces normal cell death (apoptosis) and may be responsible for controlling the development of colon cancer.
Back to ingredients ↑
L-glutamine 200 mg
This anti-inflammatory amino acid boosts immune cell activity in the gut. L-glutamine feeds and affects the gut microbiota composition, reduces intestinal spasms and promotes the growth and rebuilding of the mucosal lining of the oesophagus and intestines. It is the most common amino acid in the body and regulates tight junction proteins all along the mucosal lining of the gastrointestinal tract and naturally balances pH levels.
The brain uses L-glutamine to produce and balance GABA. L-glutamine boosts mental performance, enhances memory and can also be used to ease cravings. Chronic gastrointestinal disorders can lead to L-glutamine deficiency.
Back to ingredients ↑
Calcium hydroxide (40 mg) has strong alkaline properties and neutraises toxins in the gut. Magnesium hydroxide (20 mg) reduces stomach acid, assists in the absorption of minerals and helps to relieve gas, bloating and constipation by stimulating intestinal motility. Zinc Picolinate (25 mg) is required for cells to function and maintain the junctions of the intestinal barrier and activates digestive enzymes.
With L-glutamine, magnesium, calcium, zinc and copper (0,25 mg) added to butyric acid, it’s easy to see how the synergistic action of Progast® Butyric Acid Complex can have a fast-acting positive impact on gut conditions, as well as conditions associated with the gut. The future of gut health is ‘synbiotics’: combining probiotics with an SCFAs such as butyric acid.
Back to ingredients ↑